That extra effect

At this present day and age of instant, digital communication, I still very much value the live, face-to-face communication. In short, digital communication misses out on the human touch. However after reading about Steve Job’s perspective on humanising technology few years back, I did changed my mind a little bit. Here is an expanded version of his thoughts quoted in this article by Hiner (2011):

The best example I’ve found of Jobs himself talking about humanizing technology came from Macworld Expo 1997 in a question and answer session. Here’s what he said:

“One of the things I’ve always found is that you’ve got to start with the customer experience and work backwards to the technology. You can’t start with the technology and try to figure out where you’re going to try to sell it. I’ve made this mistake probably more than anybody in this room and I’ve got the scar tissue to prove it, and I know that it’s the case. As we have tried to come up with a strategy and a vision for Apple, it started with ‘What incredible benefits can we give to the customer? Where can we take the customer?’ [It’s] not starting with ‘Let’s sit down with the engineers and figure out what awesome technology we have and how are we going to market that?’” 

I have yet to convert fully to apple products but I am slowly growing on the iPad. However as I am still dependent on Microsoft Office tools to do assignments I find it inconvenient to use the iPad to edit work on MS Office documents. It will misalign and will not function right, unless I purchase that slightly pricey Mic Office app available at the Apps store. (For your information the currency of 1 USD equals to 3.10 Malaysian Ringgit. Yup, there’s a pinch.)

So, what have impressed and in a way excited me thus far is seeing how different peers have used animation presentation tools, slides and videos to introduce themselves with that extra audio-visual effects. I used Powtoon. Here are other animation presentation tools that I have picked up from other peers.

Xtranormal by Mr. Glen

Go Animate by Miss Wright

Animoto by Nadine Grimshaw

Voki by Mrs. Frintzilas

🙂

References:

• Hiner, J. (2011). Steve Jobs’ 100-year legacy: Humanizing technology. Retrieved March 4, 2013, from http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/hiner/steve-jobs-100-year-legacy-humanizing-technology/9399

4 thoughts on “That extra effect

1. Hi Megan
    I see you linked my GoAnimate video. Thank you! It shocked me that someone is actually truly reading my blogging. I hope you liked it 🙂

• Haha yes! I am getting shocked reading your comment as well. Blogging is turning out to be a humbling experience. Nice layout/theme by the way! I clicked the link at the bottom, you subscribed to a package am I right? 🙂

• Yes! I paid for the 3 month deal with edublogs mainly because I can now embed videos and pictures, etc. The layout was just an added benefit and I enhanced it with my own pictures anyway.
        Lauren

• Sorry I missed out your comment Lauren! Thanks for replying. Ah yes, I heard about problems embedding videos in the forums so I guess money solves it all in this case, haha. Cheers to a great learning journey! 🙂