Finally…the birth of the Concept Map!!!

My concept map

So I decided to try out a new digital tool to create my concept map on why I would use ICTs in the Early Years.
Text 2 Mind Map proved to be a very simple and straightforward tool to use. I produced my concept map within 5 minutes!

But, I thought of trying out a more fancy tool. After singing up and browsing through a few from this brilliant article 10 Fun Tools To Easily Make Your Own Infographics by Lepi (2012), I decided to go with Easel.ly.

Boy, was I in for a surprise! For the next 2 hours or so, I was stuck at the lap top trying to create my  concept map! Easel.ly is FAR from EASY!!! It took me some time to adjust the lines, the words, etc. Very often I will delete the text box by accident or resize the line instead of the text box because both are too close to each other. aaaahhh

Why did I continue even though it took me so long? – because I have a habit of finishing what I started. I seldom abandon something unless I really cannot see its worth. So what is Easel.ly’s worth? – It’s visual appeal and potential to be a wonderful tool for presentation, information graphics, etc. Also, it is still free at the moment.

However considering the course workload, I have to be more selective and ‘smart’ in knowing when I should explore something further and when I should not.

Lesson learned! 🙂

References

• Lepi, K. (2012, August 19). 10 Fun Tools To Easily Make Your Own Infographics. Retrieved March 12, 2013, from http://edudemic.com/2012/08/diy-infographics/

7 thoughts on “Finally…the birth of the Concept Map!!!

1. Pingback: Multiple Intelligences V.Digital

2. Pingback: Getting Convinced to Seriously Start ICT-ing!

3. Pingback: a young teacher's walk » Blog Archive » Satisfied

4. I like your post, Megan. I do the same – try and problem-solve to learn a new technology and it nearly always seems to take so much time. We can’t afford to waste time when we have such a huge workload (thankfully it is easing now at last). I will avoid easel.ly. Thanks for warning us!
    I’m sure you’ll do great in the course too 🙂